Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Obama vs. Clinton and Mayor Bands Sex Offenders from City Libraries

Senator Obama or Senator Clinton

The news from Ohio and Texas is that Hillary R. Clinton is still in this race. The numbers are still in favor of Senator Obama. Our party has the difficult task of picking between two of the best candidates. I completely understand why our Governor Bill Richardson is having such a hard time choosing between the two candidates. This is turning into too much of a good thing for our party. The one fact that our party should remember is that if we want the White House in the end than we are going to have to run clean campaigns and stay friends no matter which candidate wins our nomination for president. As democrats we love to look at the issues and talk long hours to our candidates. With Senator Clinton winning in both Texas and Ohio we are now given that chance to still review each of the candidates. What both candidates should be keeping in mind is to unite the party in the end.

Mayor Martin Chavez

As a mother of a pre-teen child I am relieved and thankful that Mayor Martin Chavez has band sex offenders from the public libraries here in Albuquerque. I try to teach my child that when she is out in public not to talk with strange men but having a sex offender sitting next to her at a computer in the library even if I am only a few feet away from her is not what I would want for my child. We know that public libraries are open to the public and should be treated like public sidewalks but making a public area safer for our children in not something I can consider a bad deal. Our children should be taught to use the library and to love reading. The internet service at the library is a good resource for limiting the amount of time that our children can stay on the computer. I have always encouraged my child to read books. The library is a great place because it gives my child a choose of many difference types of subject material. Sex offenders should be forced to buy their own computers so that their behavior can be tracked by local law enforcement. Working at a local college I have seen that sex offenders do try to take advantage of internet connections to break the law if they are not monitored closely. If sex offenders want internet service they should have to pay for it and know that it can be monitored and traced back to them in case they want to break the laws of our state. The final word is as a parent I have to support what the Mayor is doing after all what parent would not if given the choose?