Friday, May 30, 2008

I strongly don’t like attack ads

I strongly dislike attack ads and I strongly dislike Robert Pidcock’s attack ad on Martin Heinrich

Robert Pidcock launched an attack ad on Martin Heinrich criticizing him for not knowing that he needed a business license for his consulting company. Martin Heinrich had never run a small business before that consulting company and was learning his way through all of the complex rules that it took to run such a business. He paid his sales taxes and worked hard to make a success of himself.

Robert Pidcock has been a lawyer for the last nineteen years and understands that there are a complete set of laws for reporting finances in this state. Yet he made the mistake of not reporting a personal loan within 48 hours as he was required to when running for public office.

My mother always told me that people who live in glass houses should never throw stones at others. I feel that Mr. Pidcock now owes Martin Heinrich an apology for his remarks. After all we are all mere mortals and we sometimes make mistakes. Martin Heinrich fixed the mistake as soon as he knew that he needed a business license. The problem with attack ads are that they are hurtful and they set you up for someone to come after you. I see no reason that Martin Heinrich could not forgive Mr. Pidcock for his mistake once he had apologized for his remarks. I would never consider myself mistake free. I don’t know anyone over the age of 15 years old that can stand up and say that they have lived a life free of mistakes. Attack ads are never a good idea and candidates should stick to providing the voting public with their vision of how they plan on fixing our current problems that face our nation. I must admit to being sadly disappointed by Mr. Pidcock's behavior because I had respected his stand on ethic's issues up til now.