Friday, August 15, 2008

When is it too much time on the Campaign Trail

On Tuesday I spent from 6:00 pm until 8:00 pm on the phone for the Obama’s Campaign. I spent Wednesday stuffing envelops for the Udall Campaign from 9:30 am until 2:30 pm. Thursday I made phone calls for the Obama Campaign from 6:00 pm until 8:30 pm. On Friday I made phone calls for the Obama Campaign from 9:00 am until 11:00 am. I will be spending Saturday working with the Udall Campaign from 1:00 pm until 6:00 pm. We are now down to the last three months of our campaigns. I have noted that not a lot of people are as active as they were in 2006. Candidates that spent hours of their weekends out going door to door are staying home with their families. How will this affect the voter turnout this year? I am refusing to get my hopes up this year for fear of facing defeat at the polls. I have not seen the unified effort that we had in 2006 which helped all of our candidates. I am spending as much time as I can with each of the three major campaigns but I would love to see all three campaigns working as one with the party. I must admit that this every man for himself campaign strategy is very disturbing but since I am not in control all I can do is go along for the ride and hope for the best in November. I do wish that the Governor would step in and convince all of the candidates that the time is now to join forces and work as one party to get all of our candidates both national and local elected to office in November. Maybe then I would not be hearing from voters that we just called them. I had hoped that the new system of every campaign working together would deal with some of that reaction this year but no such luck.