Thursday, January 8, 2009

Mayor’s Race in Albuquerque New Mexico

The candidates are declaring their intentions to run for the mayor’s race in 2009. The list of candidates who are looking at running is gowning longer by the day with Major Martin Chavez holding back on declaring that he is either in or out of the race. From what I have been hearing if he did decide to run that most people would still support him for mayor. As far as other candidates the first that I was to hear about was Richard Romero in December. Romero is being helped by a number of progressives in the city. Someone pointed out to me lately that they think most of the progressives that took seats in the state this last year were running against candidates that did not put themselves out much when it came to trying to get reelected to office. This should then be the race that either proves or disproves that the progressives are having an impact on local races. Richard Romero has been putting himself out there for the voters to get to know and to hear his views on where he wants to take the city in the future. I have not been hearing much for any of the other candidates as of yet but I am sure that will change once they are better organized. Maybe I will attend something this weekend so that I can get a picture of Richard Romero talking with local progressive voters.