Monday, January 30, 2012

Equal Pay Should be a Fact not a Dream

Lilly Ledbetter

“In 1998, after 19 years of service at a Goodyear factory, someone left an anonymous note in my mailbox listing the names and salaries of my male coworkers -- who I learned that day were making at least 20 percent more than I was, even though many had less education, less training, and fewer years on the job.I went to court and won, but in an appeal, the Supreme Court claimed

I should have filed my complaint within six months of the first unfair paycheck. Of course, they didn't say how I was supposed to fight for fair pay when I didn't know I was being paid unfairly.

But that's not why I'm writing you. I'm writing because President Obama heard about my case and went to work fighting for legislation that would prevent his two girls, and an entire generation of young women coming up in the workforce, from ever being disrespected in the same way. The Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act became the first piece of legislation he signed into law as president, exactly three years ago today.

Before he was elected, the President said he'd fight for middle-class people like me, and he kept his promise -- not just on fair pay, but on so many other issues that matter to women.”

Marty Chavez, Candidate for Congressional District One

“The law that was signed three years ago to help close the wage gap that still exists in our country today was a significant victory for American women. But there is much to be done as women still earn just 77% of the wages their male counterparts earn. In Congress, I will continue the fight to ensure that women get equal pay for equal work.”