Monday, May 25, 2009

What Defines Early Training for War

By the time I was three years old I played war games out in the hills of West Virginia with my friends. We had medals and hats that were real. We had bags and bags of little green army soldiers. I walked through the forest as if I was a part of nature. There was never a time when I knew fear of the wilds of West Virginia. I was a wild part of the area where I grew up and my childhood friends walked the forest as well if not better then I did at that age. I was once told by a younger sister of one of my friends that we were admired for how brave we were during that time in our lives. We were being trained to go to war.

Three of those friends came home safely from the Vietnam War in part because we understood forest fighting from an early age. We were trained everyday to fight in that type of environment. It makes me wonder what type of training our children are receiving today. In some ways the video games and computer games our children play today are the war games of the future. Future warriors and even current ones work a 9 to 5 job and go home to their families at the end of the day due to advances in technology. Perhaps a day will come when no soldiers will every have to take the field of battle from our country. Remote war has it moral good and bad elements. While no one from our country puts themselves in harms way the enemy still dies at the hands of an American soldier and yet remote war will save the lives of many young Americas.

Today we honor my friends, family and many other vets who fought for our country. We honor the men and women who gave their lives bravely for their country. We honor the fighting men and women that are on the field of battle currently. We look forward to the day when those soldiers return home safely.

And yet we now face hostile behavior from North Korea. All will be done to solve this peacefully but a lot will be up to the future behavior of the North Koreans. We simply cannot allow them to create a nuclear bomb. The leadership of that country is far too unstable and they have far too great of a fear and hate of our country to allow them to have those types of weapons. Our Labs in this state are needed even more to keep the peace and to provide our soldiers with the weapons of the future that they will need to fight battles for our country. Yet their mission is also to provide green energy so that our country does not hand over large sums of money to counties that want nothing more then to use those funds to build weapons that will take the lives of more Americans. Both activates are in the best interest of our country’s national security.