Saturday, July 12, 2008

Tom Udall Party in My Neighborhood

Today I had my first political party at my home in support of Tom Udall for Senate. The party had all of two guest show up. I have to admit to being completely disappointed by the turn out. I had hoped more people would want to show their support by coming to the party. I hear that Senator Obama’s group was having training classes today and who can possible compete with that type of event. It would have helped to have the candidate show for his party but it is not possible for him to be in a hundred places all at once and Albuquerque has said that we support him. I really do understand that he needs to be in places that are not such strong supporters. Still it would have been nice to have more support for my first foray into the party realm in my area of the city. I can say that it will most likely be a long time before I make another attempt because it is a lot of work for so few people to show up. In the future I will stick to activities like blogging and reporting on other events where I don’t have to do so much work for so little results from the voting public. Lesson learned the hard way don’t waste your time or effort let other people throw the parties. Makes you wonder just how many people really will show up to the polls this fall?

Something to think about:

I don’t know maybe the voting public really does not care about issues like education, constitutional rights, the environment, energy or the future of our country. I am told by republican family members that the only thing that truly matters to the voting public is self interest and that the poor don’t matter at all because they can not make a real difference in who gets elected and that I should marry a rich republican and raise money for their party. One does have to wonder if anyone really cares about education in this city when administration gets 11% pay increase while I get a 3% increase also when elected official cross picket lines and no one even cares to report on the event. Clearly state senators only care about those who can afford to give large sums of money. It was encouraging that the governor stood up for helping low income families even if he is not getting a lot of support from our local elected officials. I may be unhappy now but I have never been one to just walk away from a fight and not vote but I can understand how some people have giving up on either party in this country. If an elected official makes a stand on an issue they should not turn around and vote or act in a manner that says that it was all a lie to get elected. To say one thing and do another only feeds the feeling that our votes simple do not matter and that is the beginning of the end for democracy in this country. Every vote should matter in this country and elected official should be held legally liable for lying to the voting public. Maybe if we put President Bush behind bars other politicians would think twice before they told the voting public what they wanted to hear and then turned around and did what every the people with the money told them to do when it comes to issues. As bad as some of our local democratic elected officials are the Republican Party is far worst.