Thursday, July 16, 2009

Senator Jeff Bingaman and Healthcare Reform

I am a supporter of Senator Bingaman because I feel that he does a good job when it comes to our state. I am more than a little concerned about some of his ideas when it comes to healthcare reform that came out in the journal today.

As a single parent who works for the state in education and makes very little in pay I do not want my health insurance cost to increase. At the age of 29 I was told that I had bone cancer. I was a thin 118 pounds at the time and in the best shape of my life. I had my hip replaced and underwent surgery that removed muscles from my leg. I went through chemo for close to a year. All of the treatments left me with some serious side effects. My walking is not great and I am in pain every day which will only increase as my hip replacement ages and wears out over time. I have gained weight over the years and have developed type 2 diabetes so now I am faced with either causing myself more pain to loss the weight and facing surgery sooner to replace the hip yet again or doing less and having problems caused by the diabetes.

People like myself do not get factored in when they create one size fits all bill for the whole country. We pay the pride of more loss to our income because healthy people simple have no understanding of our health issues. I did not bring the cancer on myself and did not ask for the results but I personal think that a one size fits all program that harms people like me cannot and should not be supported by the voting public or any representative that I support.

I would support health clubs that could be affordable to all individuals and a measure that would encourage people to stay as fit as they humanly can without bring personal harm to themselves but to tax people because of their weight only shows a total lack of care for individual health issues and puts the government in charge of ordering people around when it comes to their health. These views on healthcare reform if passed could result in more harm than good to the voting public. I would hope that the senator would take the time to talk with people who are in ill health before coming up with a one size fits all type of legislation to reform healthcare.