Sunday, January 27, 2008

Is New Mexico still the wild west or not? and Spread the happiness

Is New Mexico still the wild west or not?

I was reading the Sunday Journal today and came across an article that said that the New York Times ran an article that said we still had a reputation of being the Wild West. It said that we in the political world of New Mexico were still known for hard drinking and wild parties. I have to agree with the guy who wrote the statement “What wild parties and how come I have not been invited?” I know a good number of the Democrats in office in New Mexico and have yet to be invited to a wild drinking party. The politicians I know are family men who have quiet parties where we sit around and talk all evening long. Yes, mostly about political issues. The wildest we get is to hug each other hello and goodbye. The parties don’t last much past nine o’clock because we have jobs and families to deal with the next day. I must admit that there are times when we have our fights and disagreements with each other but as of yet I have never seen anyone hit another person over a disagreement. Maybe the New York Times should send a reporter to New Mexico to update their view of how politicians here in New Mexico behave toward each other at present. Now let me say that I can not speak for the Republican Party and how they behave toward each other. I wonder if that is where the New York Times gets their impression of New Mexico's political world from these days.


Spread the happiness

I like this quote from C. S. Lewis because common sense tells us that if we are kind to our friends and make them smile every once in a while it ends up making both people smile and brings a little happiness into both people’s lives. I can’t say that I like mean spirited people who only enjoy themselves when they are harming someone else either physical, spiritually or mentally. We all know people like that but we don’t have to be like that ourselves. So send a note or say something nice to a friend and see if it does not bring you both a little happiness today. I sent a note to a friend who had a birthday yesterday and we both ended up smiling about it. Maybe we could get Senator Obama and Senator Clinton to start acting that way toward each other. It would make for a much more friendly campaign season this year.

C. S. Lewis

"Affection is responsible for nine-tenths of whatever solid and durable happiness there is in our lives."