Thursday, June 19, 2008

"Any Fool Can Have a Child"

Senator Obama spoke those words on Father’s Day. We should compliment men when they are stepping up to protect our children in this state. We have a high number of single mothers like me who work hard everyday to protect our children and give them a good start to life.

I have to applaud Mayor Martin Chavez for his stand on protecting our children from sex offenders in this city. We should all tell him that we support his efforts to be a good father not only to his own children but to every child in this city. I want to thank Mayor Chavez for caring about our children when it comes to this issue.

New Mexico has far too many sex offenders and more are coming to our fair City every year. Sex offenders are making deals with judges from other areas to get shorter terms if they agree to move here to our City. Now a sex offender wants to drive one of our city buses. Our children use those buses to get to and from school. They use them to go places during the summer. I could not agree more with our mayor on this issue. I personal don’t think that someone who rapes a two year old child should be allowed into a job where they could end up alone with another child. I support Mayor Chavez’s stand on this issue.

I also want to thank the fathers in our community who take the time to help single mothers raise their children. Without my male friends I would have a much harder time being a single mother but I am lucky to have men in my life that will take the time for their busy schedules to spend time with my daughter and set a good example for her of what to expect from men when she is a grown women. I feel that the men in our lives should be complimented when they step up and act like fathers not only for their own children but for the children of all the single mothers in this city.