Friday, June 20, 2008

Democratic Party of Bernalillo County Pep Rally

Yesterday evenings monthly meeting was a pep rally for our Bernalillo County Democratic candidates. Representatives from Barack Obama for President and Tom Udall for Senate showed up to display their support to our party and the voting public.

At the event Martin Heinrich and his wife, Martin spoke of his strong support for the New G.I. Bill which would give our returning troops a chance at a good education. He does not support an endless war but he would never dream of not supporting the men and women who risk their lives everyday in a war that has no firm plan or end in sight. Growing up in West Virginia I played war games from the time I was two years old. I understand that no war can ever be won without a solid plan and a solid set of goals. I guess that President Bush never learned those lessons anywhere in his life. The major question I have on this issue is where does Sheriff Darren White stands on the New G.I. Bill? Please someone ask him or he is more then welcome to email me and let me know his answer. I have a younger brother who is a veteran and I think that it would be of great value to men like him to support their education.

We had two candidates for state senator at the pep rally. Victor Raigoza District 10 and Tim Eichenberg District 15 were at the rally. Both men are running races against republicans in their areas of our city so they need the support of democratic voters.

Chairman Brian Colon gave a very spirited speech in support of all of our candidates. His organizational skill will be of great help to all of our candidates this year. I would think that Senator Obama would want to come to New Mexico very soon to personally speak with our State Party Chairman since New Mexico is a battle ground state.

State Auditor Hector Balderas was there to show his support and spirit for our candidates. Mr. Balderas will be a valuable supporter for our candidates. He has shown that he supports people of quality and honesty.