Saturday, February 28, 2009

New Used Car or the City Bus System

Today I spent the day looking for a new used vehicle and now I have one. What is bad for the car industry was good for me this year because the price of cars has been driven down by the lack of buyers. I must admit that I much preferred the family owned M & F auto sales car dealership to the large dealers. Being a woman buying a car in this country is not easy but there are more women sales people then ten years ago when I purchased my last car and I was more then a little happy that the person who sold me my car was a woman. I miss having a mechanic to check over my car but my mechanic retired last year so now I must rely on car fact reports and hope that the state laws will protect me as a buyer.

For the last month I have been taking the city bus to and from work everyday. Expanding the bus system is a smart move by our mayor and will only help working families in the future. The bus system will also help to reduce CO out put and help to protect our environment which will be good for all New Mexicans. Sad to say CNM would not let me even use a company vehicle to drive to other campuses in the evening to substitute a class since as they put it, “it was not for a business use.” What are we in the business to do if not teach classes? Not a way to encourage people to us the city bus system to get to and from work. Clearly the policy needs to be changed to support the real mission of the college and encourage workers to use mass transits in the city but just one more reason to reign in a CEO type administration at the community college. Taxpayers pay for a vehicle for the president of our college. I wonder dose she take it home at the end of the day. Maybe we should look more closely at the people who make school policy which would be the governing board. They also hire the president of the college who should be sitting an example for the rest of the state with her school policies toward green usage in the city. At present I will still be forced to drive my new used car to work so that I will be able to work late on those days when someone needs a substitute for their class after all the students should come first even if the college administration does not agree.