Sunday, February 1, 2009

Walking the International District

After working at the college for eight years my car has finally died. I will have to wait until the end of February in order to be able to buy a used car to replace it so for now I am a handicapped woman on foot. Today I walked over to the bank on Gibson and across from the old Lovelace Hospital. Homeless were all round and I must admit to feeling very ill at easy walking through that neighborhood. Groups of men who did not look too friendly were standing next to the road on Eastern Street between the shopping center and San Mateo. I walked pass what looked like a homeless person’s blanket lying on the sidewalk before I got to San Mateo. Cars were parked so that you had to walk out into the street to get around them. In the past I have checked the sex offenders website because of taking my daughter out on Halloween evening and I already know that a number of sex offenders live in the area. Clearly more work needs to be done in that neighborhood before woman feel safe walking in that area of the city, I would like to see more police on foot in that area of the city. I would not recommend anyone walking in that area after dark. I know that a number of community leaders are working very hard to clean up the neighborhood but I would suggest that they get out and walk that area of the International District just to find out what the problems are in the area. Tomorrow I will take the city bus to work and find out how at easy I feel on it.