Thursday, March 12, 2009

CNM Board President Swearing Ceremony


Tuesday evening Robert Matteucci who has been a member of the CNM board since 1986 was sworn in by District Court Judge William Lang, Chief Judge of the Civil Division, as Central New Mexico Community College’s new board president. Let’s hope that the new board president will take to heart the true mission of this college and put the student’s needs and the educational employee’s needs before the administration’s lavish wants. The employees of this college have already told the administration that we are top heavy and if layoffs have to occur in the future that administration should be the first to be reduced in order to protect the quality of education at this college. With Governor Bill Richardson finally stepping in to protect the level of education at the university down the street it is high time that Wall Street CEO Style administration practices were done away with at this college before they harm the students. Administration needs to learn that top down management was never a good fit for an educational environment.

My dean told an instructor that I should know my place and not talk to top level administration because it makes him look like he has no control over me. I got news for him, I will talk to whomever I chose to in the future and I have a first amendment right to do just that anytime I feel like it. I am not in the military and as long as I do a good job helping the students of this college to achieve academic success then he should be thrilled that I am doing my job. As a matter of fact maybe he should be helping me to do that job rather than putting me down to my coworkers in the first place.

Let’s all hope that for the good of the college that the new board president can make the college administration understand that academic freedom is what makes a college great and that administrators should do everything in their power to foster that freedom both in the full-time instructors, part-time instructors and in the educational support staff.

I honestly wish all the best for Robert Matteucci and hope that his term in office will be a great success both for himself and the college.