Sunday, March 22, 2009

Sandia Mountains

Nature is the first place I head when I want to clear my mind and just relax. My new used car has given me the freedom to visit some places that I could not get to in my old car as of the last year or two.


The legislature’s sixty day session is over and hopefully our state senators and house representatives are getting a little rest this weekend. I have to wonder where the common sense or the rational is for having lawmakers stay up to all hours of the night when they are trying to decide the fate of laws that will affect this state for years to come. I would hope that lawmakers would be calm, well rested and collected when making vital decisions that could affect the voting public’s quality of life and economic future. It might also give them the ability to be a little more political correct toward each other.

State Senator Mary Jane Garcia and most but not all of the educational committee’s reason for not paying educational employees what they are worth this year is the cost to the state in a year when the budget is tight. The same argument is made about having a full time legislature but I bet if you asked them about paying the legislature a full time salary and benefits they would be all for it even though it would cost more then paying educational employees what they are worth. Some jobs should not be on the short list when it comes to how we value people who make our state a better place to live and grow up yet because it is done that way in this state we are often on the bottom of the rating lists compared to other states. Saying you value someone and actually showing it with a paycheck are two hugely different actions. If you don’t believe me just ask any state senator or state representative. Oh, and do tell them how much you value them even if you don’t support them getting a full-time paycheck and benefits for it like other government employees.