Monday, March 23, 2009

Time for a New Sheriff in Town

The results of CQ Press's annual Crime State Rankings are in so which 20 states were ranked as the most dangerous for 2009? You guessed it; New Mexico is ranked number 4. We did not even get out of the top five. This is one list that I and most women in this state would like to see New Mexico ranked in the bottom of when it comes to state’s rankings. Maybe then 12 women and a baby would not have ended up buried in the desert at the edge of the city.

One has to wonder why our state cannot and will not protect women from violent crimes. Three years ago when I was being stalked by a mentally ill student the judge in my care strongly advised me that he could not and would not protect me from harm. The police said the same that until I was dead there was nothing they would or could do to help me. Both groups strongly suggested that I had to find a way to protect myself from harm so where is the civilization that protects women from predators in this state?

Where is the community policing that would help protect women while they are out on the street getting into their cars, their homes and just exercising in and around their community. Where is the crackdown on drug users that break into our homes, laundry rooms and cars to steal in order to supply their drug habits? Where is the support for mental health and drug treatment programs that would keep violent offenders off the streets? Why does our state have to be in the top 5 most dangerous state in the nation? Where is our legal system while women are being killed in this state?