Monday, March 16, 2009

Webcasting at the Legislature

The modern age of media has come to the roundhouse and it cannot be used for political purposes. Political bloggers will just have to do what I did and go sit and watch the state senate for themselves if they want to commit on the proceedings.

I stopped by the roundhouse Sunday and watched the senators in action for awhile with my daughter in tow. She committed that it was like a board meeting only the senators talked a lot more then the CNM Governing board. The governing board has a tenancy to do a lot of backroom deals in subcommittees that are not open to the public so that they only come out into public to all vote yes in unison. Let’s hope that the state senate does not resort to that type of behavior now that they know they can be watched by the voting public. If a body refuses to be a part of open government they will find a way to get around the rules even if those rules are meant to cast light on how decisions are made for the people impacted by the results of the proceedings.

I was watching a debate about a bill that State Senator Tim Keller was sponsoring which would help provide more open government. They were speaking about an amendment to the bill and by the end of the debate even the senator who put forth the amendment voted against the amendment. The senate found that to be very funny on a late Sunday afternoon when most people are usually at home relaxing for the next day.

On my way out of the roundhouse I ran into Attorney General Gary King who was headed into support a few bills he has before the legislative body. I wished him luck since not much is getting through the long process this year.

It does look like the bill to do away with the death penalty will pass but now the question is will the governor sign it into law. I am always reminded of something a friend said to me on this issue. “Why should catholic oppose abortion and support the death penalty when it is only a form of retroactive abortion.” I am not sure I will every have the answer to that question. The taking of a human life is always a serious matter and should never be done lightly under any circumstances.