Friday, August 22, 2008

Convention Time is Finally Here

Everyone is off to the National Democratic Party Convention this weekend. I will be spending my birthday weekend at a writer’s convention here in the city. There will be a party in my Neighborhood this evening which I will be attending but most of my weekend will be spend listening to other authors talk about how to be a better writer. Sometimes the best way to improve your skills is to learn for others in your own field. I have never considered myself that great of a writer but I still see the need for a female voice in this city when it comes to politics. We need to work hard to keep the tone of our campaigns positive and to put candidates into office that care about the families that make up the American middle class and lower income families. We need to keep the dream of a better life alive for the next generation of Americans no matter what their skin tone.

After this next week the real work will start to get all of our candidates elected in November to provide for the change our country so desperately needs. We want to lower the cost of basic needs like food, fuel, and healthcare. We need to protect the environment for our children and their children to enjoy in the future. As a single mother I want a better life for my child as well as the children that she calls friends. While my daughter has a nice life at present that is not true for all the children in this city and in this country. We have the Bush Administration to blame for the shape our economy is in right now but Senator (McSame) McCain is planning far worst if he is elected.

He is a man that has lost count of how many homes he owns while others are struggling to keep the one that they own along with the bank that owns their mortgage. We don’t need a man in the oval office who only cares about the top richest 1% of the population in this country because they have had it very good over the last eight years. I personally don’t feel the least bit sorry for them if their taxes increase just as long as the money is used to give our country energy independents. It would be a different matter if they had used that money to help improve our economy but clearly they have only added to their own very enormous bank accounts while reaping record profits from their companies. The same companies that the Bush Administration has given every tax advantage to over the past eight years. The time to put a stop to this bad behavior and improve our economy is now.

I will be getting reports from individuals attending the Democratic National Convention this next week. I could no go this year because of that pesky day job at the local community college. You guys know the one that pays the bills. I also don't make the kind of money working in the field of education that allows me to go running off for a week to Denver. Maybe one of these days I will decide to marry that rich republican my bother keeps talking about but it is highly (over my dead body) unlikely in this life time.