Friday, August 29, 2008

Yesterday August 28 Was My Birthday

I want to take the time to thank my good friends and to tell them just how much I appreciate the gifts and the way they took the time to show me just how much they cared about me on my birthday. It was not the cost of the gifts but the thought that went into my gifts that truly matters to me. It shows that my friends truly know me well and know what I care about in life. It is that they bothered to take the time out of busy schedules to spend the time with me. I assure you that I will not forget those of you who went out of your way to show me that I am a valued person in your lives.

As for the few people who want my support but can’t find the time to be bothered with such small things as birthdays I have this story for you:

A senator was crossing a busy street one day when he was hit and killed by a car. He went to the pearly gates of heaven. He announced I am here; let me in to heaven. Saint Michael just looked at him. We never had one of you here before let me go see what I should do in this case. He came back a little while later and said, “Ok here is the deal you will spend one day in heaven and one day in hell at which point you will be asked to choose which place you want to stay in for eternality.” The senator thought that a strange deal but said sure why not?

So he was taken over to an elevator and placed on it. The first day he spent in heaven with harps and clouds. The place was quiet and peaceful with floating white clouds and claim peacefully happy people wondering around. It was a perfect day. Next he went down to hell.

He stepped off the elevator to be greeted by the devil himself dressed in a red and black suit. There was a large perfectly green golf course with all of his old campaign buddies. There were long tables set up with lots of drinks, lobster, and other foods that you see during a victory party. He spent the day back slapping and sharing stories with all of his friends who were dressed in their finest party fashions. The women were in lovely dresses and the men were in suits that fit and looked great on them. Everyone was happy and the devil listened and agreed with every word that he said. The day was one of the best that the senator had ever had and he was very happy.

At the end of the second day the senator went back to the gates on the elevator. Saint Michael looked at the senator and said now choose which of the two you feel best suits your needs and wants. The senator thought for a moment and then said I would never have thought that I would be saying this but I vote for hell. I have tried to lead a good live but I think that is where I belong. Saint Michael took him over to the elevator for the last time. He said are you sure because once you decide there is no turning back? The senator replied, “Yes I am sure.” So he got on the elevator and went down to hell.

When he stepped off the elevator what he saw was an empty plain with his buddies on their knees in rages picking up garbage while more was dumped on their heads. They were clearly and completely unhappy and no one was listening to them any longer. The devil came up to him. He said I don’t understand just yesterday they were happy and having a great time. The devil looked over at him and said yesterday we were in the middle of a campaign; today you voted.

For those very few dear friends that could not find the time to remember me on my special day all I have to say is that I will see you on the golf course.