Monday, April 14, 2008

An Interview with Ben Rodefer, Candidate for State House of Representatives District 23

Ben Rodefer is the only democratic candidate running for New Mexico State House of Representatives in district 23. We met at the Democratic Party of Bernalillo County's monthly meeting were he asked for the support of his party. We need to provide support for candidates who are members of our party and who support our issues at the state level. It is clear that he cares about education, the environment, and health care. If we are to move New Mexico forward then we need more candidates like Ben Rodefer in our state house of representatives. I am endorsing Ben Rodefer for the seat of New Mexico State Representative for district 23. He is clearly a solid family man who cares about his community.

The Interview:

Do you have a campaign web site? http://www.benrodefer.com/

How old are you? 45

What is your favorite subject area and what was the last book you read?
Ecology
Water for Elephants

Tell us about your family? Mavis and I have been together for 16 years and have two wonderful daughters Melina and Natalie, who are 9 and almost 4.

What are your connections to the community in district 23? I grew up here, I went to the public schools here, I am proud to be raising my family here. My mother lives in the same 100 year old adobe that I grew up in (in the district).

Where did you get your education and why did you decide to work here in Albuquerque, New Mexico? After Taylor and Cibola, I went to Cornell University. We decided to move back because we love New Mexico. I am currently an art dealer and this is a wonderful place to be based.

What is your work history? In my twenties I was a professional musician. Now I am a small business owner and have several patents pending.

Tell us the experience and qualities you think would make you a good State Representative? I have strong core values and am persistent in fighting for what I believe is right. I was Senator Bingaman's first intern and much earlier worked on Jimmy Carter's campaign when I was 13.

What distinguishes you from your opponent? My opponent does not live in the district. He went to an elite private school and is a wealthy developer. I live and work in the community and care deeply what happens here.

What is the biggest problem(s) facing New Mexico State Representative district 23 when it comes to woman's issues and what would you do to help solve them? There are several important issues facing women in the district, but I would say the most pressing is health care. We have to come together and manifest fundamental changes in the way we provide health care in this country. We can and we must provide high quality and affordable health care to every single person, no exceptions.

Ben Rodefer to Help New Mexico
Ben Rodefer unopposed in Democratic Primary for


State House of Representatives District 23.

NM – Ben Rodefer has filed for New Mexico State House of Representatives, District 23. Rodefer is unopposed in the primary and will face the incumbent, Republican Eric Youngberg, in the November General Election.

"I think this community deserves a more effective voice in Santa Fe. I will work vigorously to build consensus and take real action on the issues important to us all." Rodefer said. "There are so many areas where we can be doing better for our community: providing for our children and their education, providing affordable health care for everyone, improving our roads and bridges, protecting our natural resources, our water. This is our State, our community, and our home, and this is our time!"

Ben Rodefer grew up in the District and attended Sandoval Elementary, Taylor and Cibola before studying at Cornell University. He was Senator Bingaman's first intern in 1983. Rodefer is a small business owner and lives with his wife and two young daughters in Corrales, where they are active in the community.

We need new leadership and we need it now. We need a representative who will work for us, not against us. Ben Rodefer will bring positive change home to the Westside and Corrales. Change for us all.

Those interested in learning more, volunteering, or contributing may visit http://www.benrodefer.com/, e-mail BenRodefer@gmail.com, or call 505-688-9803.