Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Interview with Candidate Garry Breeswine Who is Running for Metro Court Judge

The Bernalillo County Metro Court has one race with three candidates that are all good people and two candidates that I have not yet met. This is a race worth taking a hard look at because I get the feeling that at some point in time the three candidates that I have met will end up as judges in the Metro Court System. The Metro Court is the feeder to the State Second District Count in a good many cases. It gives lawyers the opportunity to prove their skills, knowledge and abilities as judges. Here in Albuquerque some of our best and brightest district court judges have started out in the Metro Court system. Garry Breeswine is a solid caring family man and a life long resident of the City of Albuquerque. He and the other four candidates deserve a fair hearing before anyone makes a choice for Metro Court Judge.

The Interview:

Do you have a campaign website or some way for people to contact you if they are interested in volunteering for your campaign? I can be reached at breezedawg@comcast.net

Tell us your age? 45

What is your favorite subject area and what was the last book you read? I like so many different things. The last book I read was “Crazy Bosses” by Stanley Bing. It was hysterical!

Tell us about your family. I am the son of working class parents who met at Lovelace Hospital when it was just about the only building on the East Mesa (Gibson & San Mateo). My father is retired military and my mother retired from Lovelace. My father’s family is from PA & my mother’s family (Garcia) goes back several generations here in NM. I have a wonderful wife that everyone likes –Veronica- whose family has deep roots in NM. Her father is Moya and her mother is Montano. I have three sons – two from my first marriage and Veronica and I have one. Each son is ¾ Hispanic and ¼ Caucasian w/ a Bolivarian name – Breeswine!!

Who is the better cook in your family and do you help out in the kitchen? Veronica and I take turns cooking. We won’t be opening a restaurant any time soon, but we hold our own. My best dish is chicken & green chile enchiladas. We also live by the unwritten law that he or she who does not cook- cleans the kitchen!

If we asked your wife what are your strong points and what are your weak points, what do you think her response would be? I think Veronica would say that my strong points or attributes include intelligent, caring, concerned, truth seeker, fairness seeker, judging people on the content of their character rather than outward appearances, down to earth – comfortable with people of distinction as well as homeless people on the streets, strong family person, taking of responsibility and requiring accountability by others, among other things. I think Veronica would say that sometimes I hold out too much hope that all people will be fair & just, that people will accept responsibility for their actions and that people will treat others as they wished to be treated.

When and why did you decide to become a lawyer? My grand plan was to join the Albuquerque Police Department at 18 as a police safety aide and retire at 38. Then, I was to start law school to become a prosecutor. However, my eye sight was too poor to make the force and laser surgery did not exist in 1981 when I graduated high school. So, I went to law school after college to become a prosecutor. I was hired in 1989 by the DA’s office here in Albuquerque & I have been there since.

Where did you get your education and why did you decide to work here in Albuquerque, New Mexico? I graduated in 1986 from the University of Albuquerque with an Associate Degree in Police Science, a Bachelors Degree in Criminology and a license to teach secondary education. Then, I received a UNM Law Degree in 1989. I decided to obtain another degree from UNM - a Master of Public Administration - in 2003 too! I have always lived in the Albuquerque/Metro area and I love it.

What area of law did you specialize in? Criminal law – from the most minor offenses to the most serious offenses like 1st degree murder, rape, robbery, etc. I have practiced and have been part of management in our metro court and children’s court divisions. I have also prosecuted cases in our gang unit.

What is your career history? 19 years with the State - 18 with the DA’s office.

What made you decide to become a democrat? I am a member of a minority race from a hard working class family. I align myself and support the Democrat party on economic issues, social & foreign policy and legal issues.

Tell us the experience and qualities you think would make you a good judge. I have a strong sense of what is just and fair as I have dealt with thousands of cases involving thousands of people including many different types of victims, offenders, families and institutions. I have sought solutions to restore our victims, our community and offenders to become a more productive society. I am a firm believer in identifying problems, seeking interventions/preventions and educating people to steer away from the criminal justice system. Additionally, my background and experience in police science, criminology and law mixed with my background and experience in public administration, provide me with the tools necessary for a metro court judge to have when hearing cases and administering a court docket and staff.

What distinguishes you from your opponent(s) and why do you think you could do a better job? I have more experience, training and education then my opponents. I have handled thousands of felonies, misdemeanor and juvenile cases (from screening cases to going to trial). I have experiences in community endeavors such as The Albuquerque Community Partnership to Reduce Truancy, the Department of Justice Project Sentry’s firearm awareness program – Options, Choices & Consequences – taught in middle school classes, and the Bernalillo County Sex Offender Management Team among others that have allowed me to meet thousands of community members to help address community concerns.

What is the biggest problem facing the judicial system when it comes to woman’s issues and how would you resolve it if given the opportunity? In terms of metro court, understanding domestic violence and how to properly deal with it are major issues. Many of these cases are not heard on their merits. This issue needs to be addressed especially when the same people are alleged victims by the same alleged offender. This cycle of violence must be treated particularly when children witness the violence as they may become our future victims and offenders. I would recommend a family assessment and counseling program upon a conviction where appropriate. Sometimes, offenders and victims would be better off to terminate their relationship, but this could bring about other hardships. Clearly, the dynamics of these sorts of relationships are very fluid and are subject to different stressors requiring professional help. Money spent on education and prevention on the front end of the problem rather than on the back end could reduce or prevent the problem.

Do you feel that the general public understands how the court system here in Bernalillo County works or should more be done to educate them? I would like Metro Court to have a web broadcast program or a cable TV access program become part of a high school or college class. The public could also tune in to these programs as well. It is this sort of education or vicarious learning about the court system that could reduce criminal behavior or could make available community resources the general public does not know about.