Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Separation of Church and State

Our government was founded on the important concept that church and state would remain separate. No government endorsed church, which would force Americans to practices one faith. A faith that they may not agree with in the first place.

I understand that the Roman Catholic Church expects us to follow the teachings of our church. It expects us to value life, religious freedom, and marriage. As a divorced single mother, I get that maybe I am not doing such a great job on some of those issues. I have not done my level best all of the time but I do try. I think they call that sinning. Last time I checked, we were all guilty of that behavior.

My best friend is also Catholic. He is happily married and has been so for many years. When I talk to him about these issues, he tells me that the church’s teachings are what he calls “good guidelines” and that I should not be too upset with myself for not succeeding in achieving all of them. The first time he says that I was blown away. He is right.

As democrats, we should never allow our church in this country to order us to vote for one person over another. Like it or not in the past the church has made mistakes. No human run institution is without sin. God may guide the church but humans who run it still have free will to make mistakes that can and do harm other people.

The one thing that holds true always is that “Love” is the central belief. Love is all about giving and not taking. It is all about helping and not harming. It is all about acceptance and not rejection. It is all about caring and not self-centered hate. It is about working together to make a better life for our families.

If our elected officials could find a way to work together in a productive manner than our country would be a better place. If all Americans shared equally, then everyone could enjoy the good fortune and the fruits of our labor.

I think the time has come for the voting public to support the candidates who are willing to embody the concept of love. We should strongly encourage our representatives to protect the rights of All Americans and not just the privileged few.