Monday, March 31, 2008

Interview with Eric Griego, State Senate District 14

I met Eric in the South Valley during the 2006 campaigns. He was working part time at the community college where I work. I like Eric because he has shown over time that he cares about the local south valley community that he grew up in and he also cares about seeing that our children get a quality education. The South Valley needs someone like Eric in state government so that their issues will be fairly heard in Santa Fe. We are very lucky to have individuals like Eric who come back to the community after college and want to stand up for their old neighborhood. I would encourage people to vote for him for State Senate District 14.

The Interview:

Do you have a campaign web site? Yes, http://www.ericgriegofornewmexico.com/

How old are you? 42

What is your favorite subject area and what was the last book you read?

I like biographies. The latest book I read was Barack Obama’s The Audacity of Hope.

Tell us about your family?

I have a large extended family most of whom still lives in the Albuquerque area. My mother’s family comes from the Socorro area and my father’s family comes from near Santa Rosa. My mother raised five children, I am the youngest. I have a daughter, Melissa, who is 20.

What are your connections to the community in district 14?

I was born and raised in Barelas, which is in the northern part of the Senate district I hope to represent. I continue to be active in the neighborhood association and participate actively in my local church, Sacred Heart. As an Albuquerque City Councilor, I represented about one third of the Senate District.

Where did you get your education and why did you decide to work here in Albuquerque, New Mexico?

I graduated from Albuquerque High School is 1984. I went to New Mexico State University and received a degree in Journalism and Government in 1989. In 1991, I received my Master degree in public management from the University of Maryland. New Mexico is home and I’m driven to make my community and state a better place to raise our families.

What is your work history?

I have over two decades of practicing, teaching and studying public policy, including work at the local, state, national and international level. In addition to my prior elected office as an Albuquerque City Councilor, I served as the Assistant Secretary of Economic Development for New Mexico. Today, I am the Executive Director of New Mexico Voices for Children, a non-profit policy, research and advocacy organization.

Tell us the experience and qualities you think would make you a good State Senator?

As a Headstart graduate and a product of the public school system, I believe that we must invest in our children and families. I believe that we are all in this together, and that our elected officials must fight for working families, like mine. I have a record of standing up to special interests, to fighting for issues such as healthcare and ethics reform, and improving our public education.

What distinguishes you from your opponent?

The most telling distinction is the interests we represent.

What is the biggest problem(s) facing New Mexico State Senate district 14 when it comes to woman’s issues and what would you do to help solve them?

Women still face challenges in the workforce including disparate wages, lack of family supports such as affordable healthcare, childcare and issues. I believe that we must look comprehensively at issues facing women and families in our state—from pre-kindergarten education, to access to healthcare, creating better paying jobs. I believe with the right leadership in Santa Fe we can begin to push for the reforms we need.