Sunday, November 16, 2008

An Evening with the African Children’s Choir

Earlier this last week I along with many other active democrats were invited by State Party Chairman Brian Colon to attend a performance of the African Children’s Choir at Popejoy Hall. The Choir is made up of children from Africa who tours the world in order to provide an education for underprivileged children in Africa. The children that make up the choir are underprivileged and receive an education from the organization that runs the choir. During the performance they tell a truly heart breaking story of the children who have benefited from the proceeds of each year’s tour.

State Party Chairman Brian Colon is a member of the Board of Directors at Popejoy Hall. He and his family do all they can to bring culture to our city in many positives ways. This evenings event was very well attended which will serve well the children of the Choir.

I must admit to not attending too many of these types of social events over the past few years. I am trying to get out more at present but still I am getting use to going out on my own. I am a person who likes to attend events with someone. I guess it is because of my southern up bring. If I was back East I would have a number of friends to attend such events with during the year. My college friend and I would attend an event every weekend and one friend Steve would drag us to every movie opening no matter how busy we told him we were during the year. Steve lives in New York City and still manages to tell me what to go see and what movies to watch something’s never change; nevertheless, I would welcome a few friends here in the city that would be interested in attend such event. Finding a true southern gentleman who enjoys the theater and art shows is highly unlikely in this state but that would be the ideal for someone like me. I fear at present most of my southern friends are old married people and most of the men would rather have dental work then attend too many social events but I have managed to drag them to one or two events in the last year.