Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A Conversation with Bob Schwartz

Most of the time I write questions and ask the candidates to respond in writing so that I can get exact answers in their own words but I guess that I am branching out to just asking the questions and letting them answer them. There are two democratic candidates in this race both of which are well qualify for the position. I will be doing an interview with the other candidate if time permits. I would like to thank Judge Bob Schwartz because he went out of his way to make the time to do this interview so that voters would have an opportunity to better know him before the election.

I spent a little time last weekend talking to Judge Bob Schwartz during the Democratic Party of Bernalillo County’s annual spring picnic. Here are the results of that conversation.

Interview:

Question 1: Judge Schwartz why did you change from the Republican Party to The Democratic Party?

Answer: It was time. I have always been a democrat. I just realized two years ago that it was better not to fight it any longer.

Question 2: Judge Schwartz why run for a position as a judge at this point in your life?

Answer: I have done many things in my life. I have been a lawyer, a District Attorney, a writer, and crime advisor to the governor. I felt the time was right to try being a judge for the district court.

Question 3: Say you are elected you are not as young as your opponent. How long do you see yourself being a judge?

Answer: I am not one of those people who can ever see himself as retired. I see myself as one of those people who will die working.

Question 4: Do you have any thoughts toward moving up once elected to this position?

Answer: No, I would stay a district court judge.

Question 5: One of my friends thinks that a judge should know his own mind and not change his decisions once he makes one. You increased the bail in a case recently after you had lowered it why?

Answer: I ordered the District Attorney’s office to provide me with more information after reading the case file because I felt that they had not fully represented their case in court. I wanted to have all of the information in which to base a final decision so that it was fair to all of the parties involved. I feel if necessary a judge should compel the District Attorney’s office to provide all of the information necessary to make a well informed decision in a case.

Question 6: Did you feel pressured by the press surrounding the case to change your decision?

Answer: I don’t feel pressure from negative press about anyone single case. I feel that it is my decision to make and I really just don’t care what they write or say on the matter. I do care about how the public views overall issues and as a whole how they view the court system. I would like to make the court system more accessible to the public when it comes to providing documents and understanding procedures.

Question 7: What would you say is some of the issues facing women in New Mexico and what have you done in your long career to help resolve these issues?

Answer: As Distract Attorney I had a task force to respond to domestic violence calls. I also helped with the creation of a law that would prevent abuse of the elderly and the handicapped.

Question 8: There has been talk about adding more laws to protect judges when it comes to people coming after judges. How do you feel about this issue?

Answer: I was a district attorney for many years and had to deal with that then. I had people who wanted to kill me and were ready to carry out those threats. I feel that I can take care of myself.

Question 9: Being a judge takes time would you take home work with you?

Answer: I take work home with me in a different way. I want to make the fairest decisions I can but I don’t want anyone to suffer because of the decisions I make so I am as careful as I can be when it comes to the decisions I make in cases. My decisions matter to me and I have to live with the consequences.

Question 10: Do you have any family?

Answer: I am divorced but I am a single parent. I have a son who is in college.

Question 11: Any hobbies?

Answer: Yes, I collect antique furniture. The time period is late nineteen century but I have run out of room and am upgrading my collection at this point.

Question 12: Do you think you should buy a bigger house?

Answer: No, I already did that so I will just stick with upgrades for now.