Monday, May 19, 2008

Senator Robert Byrd Endorsed Senator Obama today

One of the longest serving senators from West Virginia has endorsed Senator Obama today.

I met Senator Byrd in the seventies in my home town of Logan, West Virginia. My father had taken me to the island for a Labor Day rally and all of the local politicians were there to work the large crowd of miners. Senator Byrd walked up to me and asked if I planed to vote for him. He still had dark brown hair at the time. I being a 30 year old in a 12 year old body when it came to politics looked at him and ask why should I want to vote for you? He took the time to tell me who he was and what he stood for and that he would like my vote. I told him that if he wanted to be elected in my state that he would need to talk to my daddy. At this point in time I seriously don’t think he would even remember me but it would help greatly if a number of politicians follow his example when dealing with the voting public. He never failed to appreciate people and would have never devalued anyone when he was running for reelection.

Even though I have not lived in West Virginia for twenty two years I still like Senator Byrd and am glad that he is supporting Senator Obama for president. Senator Byrd has done a wonderful job for our country and the state of West Virginia. I like most West Virginians are very proud of all he has done in his life.

I hope that since Senator Byrd was a member of the KKK in his youth that he will have an effect on people who say that they will not vote for Senator Obama because he is Africa American. If someone Senator Byrd’s age can see the error of his ways then maybe people who are far less worldly can follow his example. The hatred of the past should be left in the past and people should learn to move forward. The world can now see that Senator Byrd has moved forward and has done great things in his life time. One of his greatest gifts will be to have helped elect our first African American President.